A beautiful but cold day, and windy from time to time. The river remains in excellent shape and the leaf hatch is pretty much over. Only a few days remaining of the steelhead season. Steelhead and salmon fishing closes 11/30/15 pm and the whitefish season opens 12/1/15, size 14 hooks or smaller required.
Slipped down to the water around 3pm and did some casting, there are fish around, even saw a few salmon, likely coho. Water temp is right at 40F, my thermo couldn’t settle between 40.1 and 39.9F. Pretty cold but I’ve done very well in water like this, it’s always worth a try.
Mount Adams is fully covered with the white stuff, gorgeous…looks like the glaciers might get a chance to “grow” this winter, yeah, I know the predictions say otherwise, a good start can’t hurt.While walking back home I found this along the trail. Sure hope these guys don’t have plans for this piece of water.I’ve seen plenty of Klickitat beavers over the years but not in this area. Doubt they’ll be successful here. This run is too wide and too fast, maybe…I think?
Thanks to those who have taken advantage of our spey sale, etc. Our inventory is ” wide” but not deep. Lots of products but not many of any. See something you could use? The early bird gets the worm. Thanks for your support and Happy Thanksgiving.
River’s in good shape and should stay that way until the season closes. Weather is very cold though, barely over freezing through out the days.
Spey and fly tackle sale on, we have lot’s of stuff we need you to enjoy. Please email email@example.com if you see anything you’d like. See “Spey Sale…” page.
The Klickitat is back into fishable shape. Didn’t get a pic (camera battery too low) but it looked like close to 18″ vis around 10 am at the town boat landing. It’s quite cold this morning so bundle up if you’re going out there.
Klickitat discharge is dropping but it remains pretty ugly. It rained lightly earlier but has stopped this evening, flow continues to fall so I’d guess not much happened in the upper watershed…or it was snow up there. Freezing levels have dropped and it’s cold down here too.
Steelhead and salmon fishing season closes in 10 days so we’ll be offering seriously discounted prices on a bunch of fly fishing inventory remaining. We have lot’s of Echo rods and Airflo lines, a few Hardy and Greys rods and reels, lots of Wulff TT lines (full lines, Ambush mostly) and lot’s of Nextcast heads and a few full lines too. I’ll get a list of items up soon. If you’re looking for an Echo rod or reel, Airflo line, Wulff TT or Nextcast line, sweet Hardy rods and reels too, shoot me an email, we might have it. We absorb the shipping cost to lower 48 US States and can accept credit cards over the phone.
Our inventory is wide but not deep. Please cast an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to find out if we have what you’re looking for. Please don’t call the shop unless you know I’m there.
Klickitat discharge peaked shortly after 2 AM this morning at ~3010 cubic ft/sec. That means we had the highest level ever recorded on 11/18/xx (last 90 years of record).. The previous year of record high was set in 1933 with discharge reaching ~2720 cubic ft/sec.
The water is muddy, maybe 3″ vis at best. This was enough water to move some substrate around. Most of the fall chinook had already spawned so we probably had some redd damage, good or bad depending on your viewpoint regarding fall chinook, coho too, establishing natural(ized) populations in the Klickitat.
Here is a pic taken at the town boat landing (same spot as many previous pics).
Heavy rain and wind in the valley this afternoon, thought I’d get a chance to fish but the weather changed the plans. Discharge and NOAA predictions look ugly, suspect the Klickitat is mudding up. Planned to grill some pork chops tonight but my deck doesn’t have a roof…
Looks like the Klickitat will be ugly for a few days.
Looks like discharge has increased to just over 1000 cfs. That’s about 300 cfs added in the last 32 hours, a ~30% increase. Increased turbidity should be expected tomorrow.
Discharge increased about 185 cfs but the water remains in excellent shape. Turbidity did not increase enough to notice. There is additional rain in the forecast but it might not hit until tonight or early tomorrow and NOAA has reduced their discharge forecast.
Looks like additional rain on Wednesday the 18th and another serious increase in discharge, We’ll wait and see.
It’s been raining lightly this morning in the lower valley. NOAA’s discharge forecast suggests the river will be rising throughout today and into tomorrow. Looks like we might end up with muddy water again. I’d guess the water will remain decent in the lower river today but I’m doubtful about tomorrow.
I just added a pic to the “Klickitat Steelhead” page/link, please check it out. It’s a remarkable wild buck that was caught and released a few years ago in the Klickitat Canyon area between the Little Klick and Stinson Flat.
It’s been raining on and off all day but more consistently this evening. Odd thing is NOAA’s discharge forecast predicts only a tiny blimp of increase in discharge. Maybe it has to do with freezing levels falling pretty low. Nonetheless I can’t help but expect some increase in flow and turbidity beginning tomorrow. As of 9 pm this evening the gages have barely moved so maybe the water will remain in good shape. Took the following pic this afternoon around 3pm at the town boat landing, water looks good.