Update: 6/29/17

The Klickitat water clarity remains poor.  I was informed last evening that there had been a slide on Mt. Adams eastern flank which means it’s running into the Klickitat via the Big Muddy.  This could take a while to improve.  The slide was most likely ice and snow which might continue to add sediment to the system for some time into the future.  We’ll have to wait and see.  I took the following pic at the town landing, discharge has dropped to around 1900 CFS but the dropping discharge hasn’t cleared the water much.  The rocks are visible in this location and vis looks like somewhere around a foot.  Not what I was expecting and hoping for for the July 4th celebration but it is what it is.water62917

Update: 6/28/17

The Klicktat remains colored but things like they should be improving.  The weather forecast suggests highs in the mid 80′ with the exception of Friday which could reach 93F.

Just returned from a trip to Leidl and took a pic at the boat landing up there, looks like about a foot of vis up there but less in town so it’s likely clearing a little.  It’s still fishable but less desirable for those hoping to throw flies.  I bailed on my planned morning fishing due to the water.  Here are pics, first is boat landing at Leidl and second is town landing, pics taken within about 40 minutes of each other.water62817Leidlrampwater62817town

Update: 6/27/17

Well, I predicted the water would be getting better but it hasn’t, it’s become worse.  The gages are demonstrating something I don’t know how to interpret. Supposedly the in-river work won’t begin until July 5th and will end on July 8th, see here: https://www.columbialandtrust.org/project-update-haul-road-closure/

Maybe the wind?  Truth is I don’t know.  The water is not brown, it’s light green.  Brown is what I expect from heavy rain or in-river heavy equipment, grey comes from glacial melt.  Green like this comes from somewhere I’m not aware of.  The gages rose notably today but it I don’t know why, expected a sort or usual cycle because yesterday’s high was only 90F.  The result of the heat on Sunday should have passed yesterday, and it’s the wrong color, yesterday included.  Took this pic at the town boat landing around 8pm this evening.  You might see rocks in the pic but I didn’t see them when I took the pic.  I still expect the water to be improving over night and expect good water in the lower river tomorrow AM cause I’m planning to fish.water62717b

Update: 6/26/2017

The river colored up a bit today.  It remained fishable but limited visibility.  I’d guess slightly over a foot.  We had a high of about 90F today and I think we might start seeing the usual summer cycle begin.  I’m basing this on the weather forecast for the next week.  There could be an issue related to more work with respect to the old haul road removal.  I’m told the work will or has already begun and if they get heavy machinery into the river we’ll see poor conditions from Leidl down.  I’m hearing the work will done at night so the ugly water will be hitting the lower river during the morning.  Too bad because that will really mess with the fishing in the lower river.  Hopefully they won’t be doing any “in-river” work.  The following pic came from the town boat landing around 3pm today, vis dropped off quite a bit but I’d have fished it if I’d had the time.  water62617Bonneville passage remain very poor for steelhead though salmon numbers are not nearly as bad as steelhead.

Update: 6/23/17

Looks like the water is coming back into decent shape.  The following pic was taken around 10 am at the town boat landing.  Still a little color but it should be improving today.  We’re expecting temps into the 90’s today and increasing Sat and maybe reaching 100F on Sunday which will likely mean poor conditions beginning later Sunday and Monday.water62317

Update: 6/22/2017

The lower river is in excellent shape this morning but it looks like it won’t last more than a few hours more.  I don’t know what has happened but the water at Liedl/Stinson has colored up dramatically.  Visibility has gone from close to 3′ in the lower river to less than a foot at Liedl/Stinson.  Could have been rain last night in the upper watershed, upper meaning above the Big Muddy or above Mt. Adams.  Flows have blipped up but not by much so it surprises me to see difference in clarity.  First pic was taken at the town boat landing early afternoon today.water62217_town_bSecond pic taken at Stinson Flat around 1pm.water62217stinsonThird pic was taken from the Stinson grade and gives an overview of the color.water62217wideviewIf this color did come from rain in the upper watershed it should settle out or be moved downriver pretty quickly and conditions should be better tomorrow.  We’ll have to wait and see.

Update: 6/20/17

First off, please scroll down to the 6/14 entry and read the first paragraph.  SDS is not the land owner below Summit Creek so most certainly didn’t install the locked gates.

We hit 96F yesterday but the river is holding tough.  A little more color than yesterday but still very fishable.  This pic was taken shortly after noon at the usual spot.Water62017

Update 6/19/17

Heat the last couple days, mid 90’s today and low 90’s yesterday.  Thought the river might color up some but it hasn’t really happened, though tomorrow after today’s heat could be a different story.  Good news is it won’t last, weather forecast suggests the heat will subside for a few days.  Discharge is hanging around 2400 CFS which makes wading difficult.  I’d guess the river will begin dropping again late tomorrow and continue dropping for 3 or 4 days.  Fishing pressure remains low and so does Bonneville passage, could be a tough year.

Took a pic at the town boat landing this afternoon, you’ll see the usual rocks.  Water clarity in the 2′ range and very fishable. Water61917

Update 6/16/17

While preparing to spend a little time fishing yesterday (Thurs.) afternoon it began raining lightly.  It kept raining lightly the rest of the day so I didn’t end up going fishing.  Flows this morning have risen back up to 2500 CFS, an increase of about 300 CFS.  The river remains fishable though the clarity has been reduced to a little over a foot (my guess).  Here’s a pic of the water at the town boat landing, sorry it’s not a better pic. water61617_a

Conditions should be decent for the weekend, even for fly fishermen.  We’re not getting rain in the lower valley now but the forecast suggests we might, 50% chance.  So, no more rain and we should see the water dropping and improving over the weekend.  More rain, if substantial, the river will rise some more and conditions will deteriorate.

Update: 6/14/17 UPDATED, 6/20/17!

I’ve been informed that SDS does NOT own the gated land and therefore they likely did not install the gates.  I’ve also been informed there is a reasonably easy put in near Wonder Falls, a mile or two upstream. 6/20/2017.

The Klickitat remains in perfect shape.  Water clarity is as good as it gets though discharge remains slightly higher than normal for this time of year.

Heard the boat put-ins around Summit Creek had been gated and locked.  It’s true, both put-ins have been gated and “No Trespassing” signs have been posted.  According to my info the property is owned by SDS Lumber Company based in Bingen, WA.  I’ve no idea why they closed river access but they indeed have.  Here are pics of the 3 access points that used to exist.  First is the put-in just below the steel bridge.SummitCrclosure_aThe next two show access blockages immediately downstream, the spot people used to camp that included another boat put-in.  SummitCrclosure_bSummitCrclosure_cFishermen can still put in at the Hatchery and float through but it’s clear SDS Lumber doesn’t want us to access the river from their property.  Here’s a link to SDS lumber.  You might consider contacting them should you be disappointed about this closure.  https://sdslumber.com/

Slipped down to the river mid-day today and found the water in perfect shape, nothing but smolts for me but the conditions are excellent.  water61417